PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jabiru engine failures
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2014, 04:11
andrewr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m just fascinated to know what it is you propose to actually do about your concerns, and how you will be able to work out whether your concerns have actually been addressed. Presumably as some stage you’ll be sitting in a cockpit in proximity to a reciprocating engine, with some knobs to play with and some dials to watch.
Good question. Where would you get operating procedures for one of these engines, if you didn't know it all already? Ideally, it would be from someone who had been intimately involved in the designing and building of the engines. Someone involved in matching and testing engines for particular airframes, and who receives feedback and statistics about any problems and failures. Where would you find that sort of information?

No, I am not a subscriber to the John Deakin view that Lycoming know nothing about operation of their engine.

However

how you will be able to work out whether your concerns have actually been addressed
This is an excellent question for CASA on the original topic i.e. Jabiru. The stats quoted are a failure rate of about 1 in 1500 hours. This could be a problem in evaluating any fix. If there isn't an obvious cause of the problem, at that failure rate it might take 20-30 engines and tens of thousands of hours to concude whether a fix is effective. (Need a statistician to work out the real numbers.)

That assumes that the stats don't show an obvious cause where you could go back to the old configuration e.g. hydraulic lifters, as some have suggested.