PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jabiru engine failures
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2014, 04:02
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mach E, this is not really thread drift, it is part of the core of the issues.

I should not have flicked back a page, but talk about funny.

I asked this,
if you have an engine at peak EGT and you make it richer, which by your example means it will get cooler, why then does it get hotter (CHT) when the EGT is falling? And once past about 50 or so dF CHT will drop again.
And shortly there after our resident expert on all things from wind farms to law and valve failures responds with,

Why dose cht rise. Because the energy is being released into the Cylinder chamber and not out the exhaust. Hence that's why you don't get burnt exhaust valves when running rop. But then again what would I know !!!
Let me repeat this again, if at Peak EGT (where many have in the past recommended you run, and then richen it up a bit like yr right wants you to do, why does the CHT go up while the EGT gets lower?

I will offer a tip here, despite what yr right thinks, everything is actually 100% opposite to what he posted above. Including the valves burning from LOP ops. The reason the do that is either poor fit or poor valve guides. Running at high CHT's accelerates the problem. LOP ops can't do it any more than the other in fact the logic of it all would suggest less so due less pressure and temperature.

So please explain where Pratt & Whitney, Curtis Wright, (TCM and Lycoming also) and a whole bunch of others got it wrong.