PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More RAAF intransigence YBWW/YBOK
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2014, 02:33
Eyrie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
red dirt, are you any kind of pilot? Nobody is talking of preventing the Army using Oakey (RAAF runs the airspace) when they need it. It has in the past been used by civilians when Army aren't using it, mostly on weekends for circuits and touch and goes or land stop taxi back and take off again.

FTDK, isn't that what I said?
If so they are demonstrating a lack of maturity and and aren't acting like good aviation corporate citizens.
In the past Army pilots posted in to Oakey to temporary ground jobs or even active Army aviators have joined the local aero club. Some have been office holders in it and we all got along fine.
If the RAAF/Army are pushing back because of YBWW they are hurting the wrong people and generating the opposite of goodwill. Most of the GA people I know in Toowoomba hope that YBWW turns into a giant expensive dragstrip. They agree that the approval was done without adequate consultation or planning or consideration of its effects on existing airspace and aerodrome users including the numerous private strips in the area.

Now my off the wall theory is that YBWW won't be commercially viable and there will be a cry of " isn't it a pity that this wonderful asset will go to waste" the Fed Gov will buy it, move the Amberley base there, make Amberley Brisbane's second civil airport, close YTWB and move the GA action there to Oakey (plenty of room there and out of town). The Army can then use YBWW for their remaining helos (ARH Tiger and MRH90 - when they are serviceable, not as often as they would like, both being pieces of Eurocrap)