PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - T/R Loss of Effectiveness
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2014, 01:07
Gomer Pylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe a lot of "LTE" incidents are the result of pilot carelessness, pulling lots of power without pushing enough pedal. That lets the spin start, and once it starts, inertia becomes a factor, and it takes more pedal to stop the spin than it would have taken to prevent it in the first place, probably much more. If tail rotor control is at all marginal in the first place, overcoming the inertia of the spin may not be possible. One can opine at length about wind influence on the tail rotor, but IME that has little to do with it. The 206 has enough tail rotor authority to deal with all that, if the pilot is smooth and careful, but once the spin starts, it's hell to get it stopped, because of inertia. Of course other factors enter into it, and exacerbate the condition, but I think that as long as you keep the nose in one place, you should have no problems. I have something over 10k hours in Bells, and have never once experienced LTE. But I make sure the nose never moves from where I want it to be. You need to be smooth on the controls of any machine heavily loaded, but especially so in a Bell.