PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 17th Nov 2014, 14:59
Top Bunk Tester

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remember it (Squadron)? I was in it.

Before my aircrew days I was on holiday in Akrotiri (TASF) for three years, even more of a holiday as this was the early eighties and all traffic was going southwest which meant that AKI Hours were stricly enforced so as not to encroach on our beach time. Been looking for this series to come out on DVD for years, c'mon BBC you've got the first season of "Warship" out there so why not "Squadron". Most of the on ground pan scenes were shot on A Dispersal and I do remember going in on standby one Saturday and helping to setup and then set off the various sim munitions scattered around the bondu. In the first episode where the Herc is seen overflying the archeological dig site, I was standing behind the late great Chas Finn-Kelsey as we overflew the set area, up by the Kart Club, several times. I was also quite into photography at that point and managed to piggy back on a photoshoot for the Radio Times taking place on the wing of the C-130 with the delightful Catriona MacColl who played the RAF Doc, Flt Lt Susan Young. Think I still have a 373 Sqn embroidered patch somewhere.

Of course these days, instead of the bikini she was wearing, she would have denims, full body harness and a dayglo jacket to even venture her head out of the roof escape hatch. Is H&S wonderful?

AA62 Could you be referring to the episode that had the Groundcrew SNCO hiding in the AV bay and interferring with the flying control runs?