PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSOCAS
Thread: ATSOCAS
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2014, 11:30
kcockayne

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jim59

An interesting comment; & one with which I have no reason to disagree - as far as UK CAS is concerned. Because I have no great experience of it.
However, I was an ATCO at Jersey for 31 years. The Jersey CTR was, until recently, totally Rule 22, then Rule 21, then Class A airspace. That is, IFR only with a concession of Special VFR (where PPL VFR pilots fly the a/c visually & ATC separate them from each other & from IFR a/c).
It worked brilliantly. In those 31 years (& in the previous 15 years I spent as an a/c spotter), I do not recollect ANY VFR a/c being refused entry into CAS except for weather.
Now, I realise that the weather criteria for SVFR are higher than they are for VFR in UCAS ; & will bar VFR a/c from Class A on occasion but, I would suggest that this example indicates that ATC does not restrict VFR a/c for the fun of it, or unnecessarily.
Indeed, it was my experience that we bent over backwards to accept all types of traffic ! The proof of this could be seen in the CI CTR & at Jersey, Guernsey & Alderney airports on any sunny summer weekend - when we would (in co-operation with our 'JB & 'JA colleagues) handle in the region of 1200 IFR & SVFR flts. on any one day (of 14 operational hours ie. 85 a/c per hr., sustained throughout the day).
I KNOW that most, if not all of the ATCOS, were very much pro private flying & never restricted any of them unless absolutely unavoidable.
I also KNOW that locally based PPLS were very appreciative of our efforts & had no complaints about access to Class A.
My experience of ATCOS in the UK (gained from 1971 to '78 & in 2007 to '08) pretty much parallels my CI experience.
If VFR pilots, glider pilots & military pilots etc. were to realise what a great bunch of ATCOS they are dealing with & avoid thinking that because certain airspace in certain areas is CAS it is out of bounds to them, & that they are always not welcome within it ; &, if they were to actively participate in planning & organising new CAS; they might find that it is not quite so restrictive as they thought.
But, maybe my UK experience was different to everyone else's!