PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Creation of new flying schools effectively suspended for 3 years?
Old 17th Nov 2014, 10:00
Bob Upanddown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone from the CAA once chastised me that I had had plenty of time to get my application in (for some approval, I forget what) and it was my fault I now had to wait because they were so busy dealing with all the other organisations who had also waited until the 11th hour to apply.
Said CAA person could not understand that, as the goalposts not only keep moving but sometime disappear completely, there was no point applying for something (with all the costs in writing manuals, etc) that might change before implementation date until it was almost certain the legislation was not going to be changed.

The CAA and EASA should STOP!. Stop now. Stop all moves towards change, stop putting dates back, just STOP.

Let everything run as it is now. Allow flying schools to be set up as they were. Allow people to continue to use their FAA licences in the EU. In the meantime, complete all these reviews of General Aviation, admit EASA has screwed up and come up with some more appropriate regulations that will allow GA to actually grow under EASA.

No-one in their right mind will set up a flying school at the moment. I think you will find that some big boys in that game are no longer with us (Cabair, etc) so being big does not protect you from the effects of recession or changes in legislation.