PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BOAC B707 ops in the 1960s
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2014, 01:36
ExSp33db1rd

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
......whilst not a lot to do with BOAC except I would be interested in the implications of the Hermes landing in the Sahara on BOAC Nav ticket philosophy.
Recently read a review of that, some Anniversary date I think. 'fraid I can't remember where I saw it - can remember details from 60 years ago but not last week ! - but it will be available on the Net. The navigators compass was equipped with a scale that could be rotated to apply the variation and then one could steer True courses as plotted on the chart - or something like that, unfortunately the graduations were x 10, so he applied 10 x the required variation, and they eventually became "temporarily uncertain of their position" and ran out of fuel. There is some tale of a passenger telling them that the Sun was on the wrong side of the aircraft, too.

On a Brit. once had a steward ask the name of the Caribbean island that we had just passed, looked at the chart and gave him a name. Shortly afterwards he appeared with a passenger, who had questioned my answer.

Oh! for f***ks sake, come and look, and directed him to my chart, we passed X at this time, we're flying at Y speed, and it is now Z time so we've covered A miles which means we are - Oh dear !! I was navigating by Loran, not islands, who cared what the name of all the various islands was ?

Turned out that the pax. thought he had seen his home on the Island he knew well, and still asked the question, and being given the incorrect answer by the professional navigator made his day. Passengers ! We've all had them !

Light aircraft out of Anchorage ....... once hired a Cessna 172 to go and look at the Portage Glacier with some of the crew. The instructor who signed out the aircraft told me not to approach the glacier from the bottom, but fly in high and then fly down it - the glacier has a greater rate of climb then the Cessna, he said. Good advice !

A crewmate pilot of mine hired a small aircraft to fly to Kodiak Island. I'm not sure if the wreckage was ever found, don't think so, likely disappeared into the sea, which was a bit cold up there.