PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2014, 22:16
MajesticCasual

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Salamor,

Those two books are a good start but don't limit your study to just them. Make sure you have a solid understanding of why you want to be a military pilot - broad statements like "I've wanted to be a pilot since I was a kid..." will not get you across the line (not implying you'd use that, but many people do). You'll need to know what the career of a military pilot entails - I found talking to in service pilots a great insight, whether that be on this forum, out on base visits or even up at Tamworth during Flight Screening - they know exactly what the training demands and can really help you to form an accurate picture.

Make sure you know at least a little bit about all of the aircraft in the ADF (current and future) and a lot about the aircraft you wish to fly (1st choice and 2nd - they will ask...). Have some leadership and military/aviation motivation examples you can give from your life - even if there are none that stand out, many experiences can be shaped in the retelling to demonstrate how you took the lead and made the hard decisions...

Make sure you arrive every day at the crew room with a positive attitude ready to hook in 100%. The time up there is slightly pressured by nature, but it's important that you demonstrate you're enjoying the process - smile and don't be intimidated by the Defence personnel, they were in your position once - have a chat with them if the situation allows Also, don't play boardgames (there are many scattered in the BFTS crew room) - use your time to study! Playing games implies you know the material back to front (it's great if you do, just make sure your flying reflects this... you are always being watched...).

Additionally, work together with your fellow Flight Screeners!! I cannot stress this point enough. You will inevitably form strong friendships with the girls and guys on your course - you're all going through a unique and challenging process - but it's amazing how fun it can be when you're all helping one another out and overcoming those hurdles together!

Finally, don't worry about studying checks or cockpit layouts. They are not assessing your ability to fly. They are assessing your ability to learn. It's a strange concept, but they aren't necessarily looking for aces, more so people that can show consistent improvement when learning a new skill.

All the best!!