PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - National Defence Medal is a medal for doing nothing
Old 16th Nov 2014, 21:34
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
Speaking as one of those who would be eligible I think its a nice idea and as has been pointed out, perhaps, yes for operational aircrew or others who's very bread and butter duties put them in harms way as a matter of routine. I might kick off an argument here and make no excuses for myself, but as a former ASOP I don't think even a tour in Belize quite cuts the mustard expect in exceptional circumstances, towit, the Saturday evening in Belize when hung over as a Parrot I wandered over to the Naafi to get something to eat, eventually, and something to drink (tonic water or something like that) I picked the night that 40 Commando were having their farewell bash and as always, there was the odd one holding a party at the Bar all on their todd. I stood next to one who became quite upset "because the crab wouldn't help him down a whole bottle of rum" so despite my very fragile state I spared his feelings and obligingly gulped down half a bottle of rum with lashings of lemonade. And for managing that without chucking up my load and maintaining good public relations between the R.A.F. and the Bootnecks I feel I deserve some form of recognition.

FB