PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - National Defence Medal is a medal for doing nothing
Old 16th Nov 2014, 18:22
Warmtoast

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
As my only medal is the GSM with clasp Malaya for my service in the Far East in 1956-58. Not sure why I got it as the nearest I came to any fighting was as a pax in a 205/209 Sqn Sunderland on a night Firedog mission that dropped some bombs on communists in the Malayan jungle, so I've read this thread with interest.

Anyway the reason for commenting is that there is an article in today's Sunday Times about a book written by an American general (Daniel Bolger) that criticises the current head of the British Army, General Sir Nick Carter. In the article there is a fascinating paragraph relevant to the award of medals which states:

"...During his time commanding troops in Helmand and Kandahar, Carter [General Sir Nick Carter current chief of the general staff] proposed a new medal be awarded for avoiding the use of deadly force, which a NATO spokesman described as “an act of discipline and courage not much different than those seen in combat actions”. The proposal was shelved..."