PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2014, 17:34
harrym

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fareastdriver: yes my intended meaning in #6451was 'fly attitude', but somehow I did not express it too well. Whether or not one allows airspeed and/or altitude to wander depends to some extent on circumstance; in a swept wing bird you might have only a small margin between high & low buffet speeds, while if in busy controlled airspace is it wise to bust an assigned flight level or altitude?

Danny: I remember walking past that cemetery in Calcutta and noting its obvious European aspect, even to the extent of some of the stones leaning drunkenly as in many an ancient UK churchyard. Had I known of my ancestor's presence there I would have investigated, though given the general air of decay I doubt that any inscriptions epitaphs etc would have been legible.

I don't recall ever hearing about the reputed Phuket 'invasion', which of course is not to say it never happened; c--- ups in war are inevitable, and no doubt the SEAC theatre had its fair share. Mingaladon was an almost 100% transport airfield and had any of the Dak squadrons been involved we would certainly have known, while no combat aircraft with the requisite range were based there at the time.

As for expecting the RAF Police to deliver cups of tea, well pigs might fly (I write metaphorically, absolutely no disrespect intended!).

Re Moulmein, there are some words about it in my next post.