PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - National Defence Medal is a medal for doing nothing
Old 16th Nov 2014, 16:46
Shack37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Posted by Nutloose
Oddly enough when I got stuck on a Jag Sqn and we had a Sqn photo taken in No1's, bar the old folks medal (LSGC) I was about the only one to have one and that being my lowly GSM. Every man and his dog had them at Odiham, at Bruggen a medal was a rarity.
Odd you should describe your GSM as lowly (I have one from Aden and an unclaimed bar for NI) because I too am surprised to see it take precedence over other campaign medals worn by guys for service in Iraq/Afghanistan. In my case it was for "being there" 1966/1967. Certainly it was merited for others who saw some nastiness, army and RAF Regt, whereas I only left the safety of Kīsar for luxurious dets such as Sharjah and Majunga.

Posted by TTN
The Glosters were awarded a US Presidential Unit Citation for their action at the Imjin River in Korea. It was worn as a blue rectangular patch at the top of the sleeve, and the practice continued until The Glosters were absorbed into The Rifles a few years ago

Didnīt they also wear two hatbadges on their berets, one front and one at the back for that same action?