PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - National Defence Medal is a medal for doing nothing
Old 16th Nov 2014, 15:21
Nugget90

Received 37 Likes on 5 Posts
Medallic Recognition for Service in the Armed Forces

I write as one who took pride in serving in the RAF for 19 years yet feels unrecognised at Remembrance Day church services and parades because I have no medal to indicate that I, too, was the Service, which was in the 1960s and 70s. There was huge disappointment in 1977 when we learnt that a Queen's Silver Jubilee Medal was going to be awarded to the armed services - but then, as has been mentioned elsewhere, in the event very few were distributed - quite unlike when the subsequent Gold and Diamond Jubilee medals were struck.

There is also no possibility either (at present, although this may change) that I could qualify for a Long Service medal, which I would be absolutely delighted to receive if regular officers were to qualify and the qualification were to be made retrospective.

The NDM, as I understand is proposed, would if approved be made available to those who have served for a defined period in the armed services, just as in Australia and New Zealand, without any consideration of 'risk and rigour' such as form a prerequisite for any campaign medals. This approach should address the observations made by Col Bob Stewart MP.

It may be difficult for any reader who has even one medal to understand the continuing disappointment felt by those of us whose service has not received medallic recognition. I hope that something positive will come out of the Second Reading of the NDM Bill on the 5th of December for the sake of many thousands who would appreciate such a tangible and visual gesture of thanks from HMG for service rendered.