PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2014, 12:23
Danny42C

Can't tell Stork from Butter.

26er,

Danny is not as confused as all that - yet ! Of course I know that the Meteor 7 had no guns or sights, and no armour plate (and was therefore the best-climber of them all), but all Spits came with a gun camera. So did the Me109, IIRC, but theirs (Zeiss ?) was much better than ours (or their erks cleaned their lens much more often than ours), so many of the gun-camera shots of our brave lads knocking 'em down in the BoB are (if you look carefully) of some poor Hurricane being hacked down (captured German film). And one twin looks remarkably like a Dak.

Of course one of the Hurricanes might've been the victim of the chap awarded (by Wg.Cdr. Spry in Tee Emm) "the Most Highly Derogatory Order of the Irremovable Digit for Guarded Recognition" after saying: "I thought it might be a Hurricane, so I only gave it a short burst !". (What the victim - if he survived - said is not recorded) And what about the Battle of Barking Creek ? - should be some good film there !

Our Spits at OTU had a little bolt-on press button on the spade grip, so you could run the camera (for training purposes) without firing your guns, but we never used it - film too expensive, in too short supply, or too labour-intensive (developing) - to be used on training the likes of us in deflection shooting.

Danny.