PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mixing Mogas and Avgas
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2014, 03:03
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The mag timing of the O-200 is related to an AD, which was associated with certain cylinders. I know that my O-200, with it's new cylinders, is not longer subject to that AD< and as such, it is timed to 28 BTC, and I run both Mogas, and occasionally Avgas (so certainly mixtures of both).

Mogas containing alcohol is prohibited in Cessnas, and unwise to run.

My experience (about 3400 hours flying Mogas in many models of Cessnas) has demonstrated not greater propensity to carb ice on Mogas, than on Avgas. I recall the specs for Mogas suggesting a slightly greater susceptibility to carb ice on Mogas, but in the practical world, that has not been my experience. I do have a carb air temp indicator installed though.

I did high altitude testing of Mogas in a 182 and 180; Up to 13,000 feet, and 19C, and have never had a problem with Mogas.

I think you should expect non alcohol Mogas, and Avgas to be operationally the same. Aside from a black exhaust residue for Mogas, I think that otherwise the differences between the gasolines would be indistinguishable to the pilot in an approved Continetal......