PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawarden Nov 2013 fatal crash - AAIB report
Old 16th Nov 2014, 02:46
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I certainly agree that an engine failure in most light twins is well treated by a throttles closed, land ahead, if that is what the pilot is comfortable with. The 310R will climb away on one, with great care. That was a part of my multi endorsement, which was done in the 310, back in the day when single engined work was compete shutdowns. The 310 fuel system makes it near impossible to be running on the aux's with empty mains, as the excess fuel from the aux's will be returned to the mains, so when you go back to them, you'll always have more than was there when you left them. This is a part of getting to know the Cessna twin fuel systems.

I have tested MT props on several twins, as well as a number of other external mods, which required complete retesting of all of the single engined performance. This was always done with the critical engine shut down and feathered - so lots of restarts, and a couple of single engined landings. My DA-42 Lycoming testing was also for feather/unfeather with MT's and McCauleys, if I recall, and in flight restarting, which I did dozens of times. We did have a snag in the unfeathering accumulator, which necessitated some starter restarts from feathered - lumpy. I never did any of this close to the ground, and a lot of the critical stuff within a glide to the runway.