PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - National Defence Medal is a medal for doing nothing
Old 15th Nov 2014, 19:16
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting concept this. From my own experience, I have a couple of medals from GW1 that are far more decorative than the others I obtained through my time in the RAF? Funny thing is, the freedom of Kuwait medal, awarded by the Kuwaiti's and the other one, from the Saudi's, are not permitted to be worn on your uniform (they do look good on my pyjama's though). I understand that it's hardly a problem these days, as most GW1 vets are ex, but, Imagine that Afghanistan awarded a medal for service in that theatre, and the lads were told they couldn't wear it, while they and others who had never been near a combat zone, could wear the proposed National Service Medal. I rather suspect that my NSM was the bloody uniform I wore for 30 years, and was proud to do so. That's what made me feel part of the service, and also that I had something in common with my fellow servicemen, whatever their trade or experience. When politicians get involved like "good old Bob has", there's always a reason, and self interest usually covers it.

Smudge