PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSOCAS
Thread: ATSOCAS
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2014, 18:18
whowhenwhy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MJ, I'm with Moli, I agree with a lot of what you have said in your last few posts. I've listened to how others in Europe do it (Danish FISOs provide surveillance based traffic information to VFR traffic in Class E, akin to the UK's military area radar Class G aerospace task) and would like to see FIS in Class G that is based on IFR and VFR. ATS units with a surveillance capability could provide information based on radar, we'd get rid of deconfliction service and collision avoidance advice would be available on request. The problems are that the overall airspace structure within the UK is wrong (the default that Class G is best is plain wrong) and the funding model in the UK is wrong because there is no profit for aerodromes to provide FIS to transiting traffic.

I think that someone needs to start examining the availability of ATS to users (and I don't mean LARS coverage) because too many pilots are saying on forums such as these that all they can get is a BS. That was never the idea. I also think that if we're forced to stick with what we have, then somehow, availability of the ATS, training and awareness needs to improve, in order to improve safety.