PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Writing a CV for the first job after training
Old 15th Nov 2014, 17:38
Will Swinburn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there,

I have spent the last 5 years running courses on this and helping guys/girls find their first job. My background is also in aviation recruitment.

I agree with most of the above.

Keep these things at the forefront of your mind:

1- The CV is your chance to sell yourself. So sell, don't just present technical information about yourself. Make sure every sentence has a positive impact on the reader. As pilots a lot of us are exceptional at attention to detail,but not always so great at identifying and positively promoting the skill set we have.
2- You cant sell something unless you know what the customer wants to buy. So make sure you have a thorough understanding of the job role. In the case of the first officer, look at these sorts of communication based skills:

Leadership and Management,
Decision Making,
Situational Awareness,
Teamwork.

3- When airlines select, they tend to use competency based questioning, they want to see evidence. So lets use that knowledge to get ahead of the competition at the CV stage. Lets deliver the skills we have learned they want and provide evidence of when we use them.

Just a few overview tips to get you started. I hear tonnes of tips that are sometimes not so effective! So when you receive advice on a CV, measure the effectiveness of that action Vs. its risk. I heard an FTO recently who tell their graduates to decorate the CV with the airlines logo! I've popped that in there purely for amusement, there are clear risks associated with this that probably outweigh any potential for gain.

I'll answer your questions directly:

1) ATPL theory average/ first time passes - If the results are good. Yes. There is potential gain and no risk. You'll also be taking up minimal space on your piece of A4.

2)Any sort of personal statement or hobbies etc? Or everything on the CV should be kept strictly aviation-related? - You can find examples in your hobbies of when you've used the skills above. In my opinion I'd focus not just on what your hobbies are but also what you've achieved. This section also serves to show you are a 'rounded' interesting person.

3) A passport photo - This is one of the more personal elements. Really in putting photo on you're trying to put over a subliminal message. My opinion is that putting a photo on holds risks that probably aren't outweighed by the gains. Some advice, if you do:
a) Don't break the airline's uniform rules of the airline you're applying too.
b) Don't wear uniform! I work for an airline, if I apply to another airline, I won't be wearing my current uniform in any pictures!

Hope the tips above help. I've only approached the subject on a very basic level and to give you a start.

Remember to weigh up the risk vs. gain on any advice you get.There are a lot of 'experts' in this field who don't necessarily realise how very important this is to you.

Best of luck,