PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2014, 11:31
Geriaviator

Received 241 Likes on 75 Posts
Long ago I was tasked to introduce a visitor to aerobatics. This was a delightful duty as she was VERY pretty; my briefing was even more longwinded than usual, as was the careful strapping into the front seat (sigh) for the Tiger Moth was normally flown from the back in order to maintain its balance. There was no intercom so we agreed that thumb up would mean good, thumb down meant take me smoothly back to the airfield.

We began very gently with chandelles, then loops, then a barrel roll which produced both thumbs held high and a big smile over her shoulder (another sigh). The 90-deg stall turn went equally well, as did the slow roll until we became inverted and fell into the straps. This was too much for the maiden, who grabbed the handle which Mr. de Havilland had conveniently situated in the centre of the cockpit and held it tight.

My first reaction was that the controls had locked, as the Tiger fell out of the roll into a half-loop and started up the other side before the beautiful one remembered her briefing and released the stick. In fairness she was very apologetic once back on the ground and compensated with a big hug and kiss (last sigh).

My old CFI, who had 4000 hours on wartime Tiger Moth instruction, laughed his leg off: “it's the only time you want a girl to keep her hands to herself, lad, next time take the stick out of the front”.