PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hour Building USA - (Master thread)
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2014, 10:37
Scoobster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hours Building Recommended Schools

Hello,

I am looking for a recommended place to do my hours building in the U.S.A or Europe. The weather in the UK at the moment is not great so makes sense to spend around 3-4 weeks abroad for hours building. USA seems to work out competitive based on the exchange rate.

I am flexible with regards to the state (europe or usa) and ultimately prefer a small school with a personal touch rather than a "pilot factory".. Looking to build approximately 80 hours and then will build the rest of the 20 hours in the UK.

The school should have well maintained aircraft with good availability of the C152. This is what I learned on and is the cheapest! - I am not interested in the "safety pilot scheme".

I have emailed Chandler Aviation Services and they have come back with a quote of approximate $8000 for 80 hours with $1500 of taxes and checkouts = so round numbers of $9500 on a Cherokee 140 or PA28 (I believe).

What should I be asking the schools when I make enquiries?

I have thought of the following:

- Taxes,
- Landing Fees
- Fuel Surcharge
- Cost for touch & go's
- insurance waiver
- Accommodation.

Any schools which you can suggest would be welcome ideas? I will be converting my license to the FAA required for hours building.