PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unhelpful controllers at Birmingham?
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2003, 20:29
flower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is a great shame that the dedicated LARS units are not taken more advantage of in the Birmingham area. Birminghams traffic levels have risen considerably over the last 8 years without I believe an increase in staffing levels (correct me if i'm wrong here). Whereas in the past they would endeavour to provide a service it is increasingly more difficult for them to do so.

Each week you see in the NATS airport weekly review the number of zone infringers they have to deal with , in a number of cases having to break of traffic and reposition. I can understand how they have got to a stage of feeling rather agrieved at this.

I do work at a LARS unit we have the resources to work the traffic , we get paid the extra money to provide the staffing to provide the service.

As for the issue of zone transits, All ATCOS will attempt to allow zone transits if traffic permits. They don't turn around and say no just for the sake of it, sometimes though when you hear an aircraft telling you they are going to transit through your Zone it can get your back up The phrase "request "Transit through your Zone or via your overhead is likely to get a much more pleasant response , we after all are only Human