PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Side Slip (wing down/cross control) Landing Technique on Airbus (A330)
Old 15th Nov 2014, 08:03
scotbill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotbill
There is no question in my mind but that the controlled slip (not wing-down!)

This'll be good. Please explain the wings-level controlled slip.

A question of terminology. "Wing down" suggests you could be placing wingtips or pods in jeopardy whereas a correctly flown controlled slip landing should see bank angles of the order of no more than 2 degrees.
Similarly it amazes me that any professional pilot can use words like "kick" in connection with control of an aircraft in the flare. What do you think would be the effect in Row 40 if your student takes it literally? (Yes, someone did do it to me in a 757!)

The single greatest disadvantage of the last-moment de-crab is that, if mis-judged, it leaves the aircraft drifting downwind and the pilot running out of ideas (particularly if carrying excessive speed). A common reaction is to push the nose down in an attempt to get on the ground. If this means that the touchdown is nosewheel first, it can cause serious damage to the airframe.

While I eventually did acquire the ability to de-crab early in my career, there is no question in my mind that controlled slip builds student confidence earlier and is more likely to lead to successful outcomes.

Why accept that touchdown with 5 degree crab angles is OK if you can ensure a smooth normal flare and touchdown on centre-line?