PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSOCAS
Thread: ATSOCAS
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2014, 06:03
Moli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MJ

You operate within Class G as both a GA aviator, I assume usually under VFR, and also as a CAT pilot under IFR with fare paying pax.

Blank(ish) piece of paper, What would you advocate that can realistically be achieved to afford you the safety you require for your CAT IFR ops whilst facilitating aviation in class G that wants to operate with freedom to manoeuvre in what is uncontrolled airspace?

This is genuine question as I feel the present services in Class G are just about okay but I am always open to learn how they can realistically be improved.

What I do feel very strongly is, that there is insufficient capacity/coverage in the UK to accommodate the majority of Class G airspace customers and that some ATCOs don't apply the services as they should to offer the best service available. The original post demonstrates part of my point; if the post is accurate the pilot had TS imposed on him (SSR or not, he should have been asked what TOS) and then once he came into conflict with ac at the same level, (its not clear if the radar vector given introduced that conflict or not) the ATCOs responsibilities under duty of care mean he should have offered some sort of alternative plan to mitigate the risk of collision (that doesn't mean applying standard separation just making sure they don't meet). However, for his part the pilot admits to flying in thick IMC and he should have requested DS as TS relies on see and avoid which you obviously cannot do in IMC.
Another aspect that I feel is perhaps not being applied as best it could, far too many ATCOs when asked for a TS say too busy have a BS. When ATCOs are busy and asked for a TS/DS very few take the option of giving the service that has actually requested and limiting the service due to workload and or traffic density..... as a result of that more and more light GA is saying thanks but no thanks to BS as they perceive it gives them nothing and going on route which helps no-one. When I say it helps no one I completely get why it happens as I do it myself with some ATSUs.

I guess I am saying that I believe the services as laid down on a piece of paper are fit, however a lack of ATSUs to provide that service (the biggest problem IMHO) and a lack of application on both sides lead to a lot of pilots unhappy with the present setup.

Moli