PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Side Slip (wing down/cross control) Landing Technique on Airbus (A330)
Old 15th Nov 2014, 04:09
McNugget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bubbers

I know that you like nothing more than telling people how great aviators were, back in your day (we're going back quite some time, too). The simple fact remains that having zero training as you transition from one jet to another is foolhardy by anyones standards. That's why you'd never get away with it now. Oh, but never mind, that must be because your generation were so much more skilled, back then. That'll explain why flying was so much safer 40 years ago than it is today.

However, that's completely irrelevant.

What is relevant, is your assertion that a LR provides asymmetric thrust on approach. Ha, having flown one, and also having landed one with an engine inop, I must ask you whether you were joking? The asymmetric thrust experienced during approach power settings needs nary the slightest squeeze of rudder. To pretend that you need it as an option on approach is, frankly, laughable. To even consider it as a possible option would suggest that you're flying too many types, therefore unable to apply the basic aerodynamic principles pertinent to the one you're sat in.

We're not talking about V1 cuts with 'no rudder'. We're talking about differential thrust on a CL thrust aircraft on approach. With rudder.

Can you do a checkride on a LR to remove your CLT limitation? I didn't think so.