PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK NPAS discussion thread: Mk 4
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2014, 01:27
Gerry Atric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Thomas coupling …
Thank you for your reply. I couldn't expect you to know my background in detail. To save cluttering up this forum with information that I'm sure sure that most people don't want to read, I'll PM you with the story of my aviation life. In summary, I spent 18 years on fixed wing, doing a wide range of tasks that included most of what rotary do, and quite a few that they don't or can't. As observers we we expected to carry out tasks that might be considered those of a Pilots Assistant … all checklists, maybe changing radio frequencies, dealing with Approach Plates, keeping PLOGS. We were expected to be capable of working out weight and balance drop load sheets if necessary (until we devised standard loads). We did daily elements of the Check 'A's under the pilots supervision. All listed in our POAM Pt2 and obviously under the auspices of the pilot.

Yes, I have flown with some gifted pilots, some of questionable competency (peer and senior pilot opinions, not purely my own), and one who did something so unsafe that he was invited to leave (or be pushed/prosecuted). We were regular passengers on training flights (now considered unacceptable) to the extent of being on board during full engine shut-downs, stalls,etc. The reasoning being to monitor and shut down role equipment during engine restarts (there was no role equipment or Auxilliary Busbar … an 'oversight' during construction of the aircraft!!!!).

As for 'no visual cues' … I mean exactly that (part from instruments). I have been tasked to rural areas where there has been absolutely NOTHING visible except on the TI camera (which was not viewable by the pilot).

I only spent two years on rotary (my last two)… glad that I did … a wholly different world, and I probably wouldn't recognise the nuances of differing capability in a rotary pilot (they all impressed me with their thoroughness and professionalism). But I'll quote you (in my PM) some f/w stories that you might agree would give anyone pause for thought. And I can't think of any (one, maybe, had some rotary experience) who were dual rated … they were all f/w only.

Looking back, I was extremely fortunate to have had the opportunities and experiences that I had, and to be part of a unit where there was no 'them and us' (pilots and police).

Did I ever imagine that it would be my main career when I joined as a PC in 1972? Never! Miss it? Yes, I do!