PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Side Slip (wing down/cross control) Landing Technique on Airbus (A330)
Old 15th Nov 2014, 01:24
ACMS

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes I came from a time before flight sims and we had to learn in the Aircraft as well, I clearly remember having to do crosswind landings during conversion in the Aircraft.

I still can't believe neither you or the new FO had landed in a good crosswind and they signed you off as safe IN ALL CONDITIONS? Surely you should have found suitable conditions to be trained in to a competent standard, even if that meant waiting or flying off to another Airfield to find a crosswind....

Wouldn't happen today, in my 777 command 14 years ago we had to demonstrate competence with a 38kt crosswind at Cat 1 minima and a wet runway.....if I couldn't do it safely I would not have passed....

As for the differential thrust idea, great but I've never been trained by Boeing Fokker or Airbus to use that style ( mainly as they prefer the use of Autothrust ) and I don't think it would be wise to stuff around trying......Rudder and Ailerons work just fine for me up to Max crosswind.

Yes I realise the 300' wind is most likely different to the surface wind....but thanks for the heads up.

p.s. The 777 Autoland crosswind limit 38 kts ( NON AWO ) is the same as the Pilot limit of 38kts

Last edited by ACMS; 15th Nov 2014 at 01:34.