PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawarden Nov 2013 fatal crash - AAIB report
Old 14th Nov 2014, 22:31
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A 310Q has an excellent fuel system, but it does require pilot management, and there are a few "gotchas", but experienced or well trained 310 pilots know them. There are system reasons to use certain tank's contents in a certain order. There are also pumps which circulate the fuel within the tip tanks. I suppose of one of those pumps quit, the fuel in a tip tank might not be as available as one might hope.

GA opposed piston engines do not have auto feather systems, so the pilot is going to have to command the feather, if it is desired. However, if the engine is allowed to stop, or seizes to a stop, the prop will not be featherable, as it feathers only with open blade latches, and on centrifugal force, which goes to zero with no rotation. This is warned in some POHs, but not all. I have to convince to have it added to the Lycoming powered DA-42 Flight Manual, as it was not a tribal knowledge item at Diamond. Thus, I make it a part of training whenever I can.

You would not want a prop going to coarse pitch after a failure, as there is still lots of drag from a coarse prop, and then that drag would increase once you went to feather. The plane will be hard to handle in this configuration, so anything that prolongs that is worse.

A 310 is a capable plane on one engine, but it gets bad fast if you let it out of control - you just may not get it back.

For those with more interest, this article is really good:

http://www.avhf.com/html/library/Lea...elf_An_Out.pdf