PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA pilot's Union under pressure (merged)
Old 25th May 2003, 19:18
highcirrus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
”SIA could lose $1b this year”, warns PM

Does Prime Minister Goh mean that the airline will not make its customary $1b profit for the year, that is, it will break even for fiscal 03/04 at zero profit, or does he mean that not only will the expected profit vanish but a further $1b will also be lost, hence bringing the total loss to $2b?

I ask because, if the former is the case, I have noticed nowhere, any reference to any SIA shareholder (read: Singapore Government + Major Singapore Institutions) being expected to shoulder any of the forthcoming pain, so readily commentated on, in respect of the airline’s employees.

I have similarly noted a dearth of information in respect of the precise SIA financial data on which such forecasting is based.

I feel certain that the entire SIA employee force would be a little miffed, to say the least, following what looks likely to shortly be imposed on them, at any spectacle, twelve months hence, featuring the directors’ satisfaction at having sustained a customary profit profile in the face of such previously daunting odds.