PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bird strike out of Guernsey continues on one Engine to Birmingham
Old 14th Nov 2014, 18:57
OldLurker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, colour me ignorant, but I'll take the bait on Landflap's CSI question (13th Nov 2014, 18:20).

As I understand Landflap's scenario, you're in cruise - say FL300? - heading east overhead Larnaca, and an engine quits. (Why? The reason could be important.) Your company says go to Damascus, we've got a spare engine there and you've got an 80kt tailwind. (I take it this is before the Syrian civil war and everyone's nice and friendly.)
Now, it seems to me Larnaca to Damascus is about 180nm, well under half an hour even on one engine, with the 80kt tailwind. Starting over water, yes, but you're very high and if the other engine quits (improbably? depends why the first one went out) then I'd guess you're in glide range either turning back to Larnaca or straight ahead to Beirut.

Alternatively, go round in circles descending into Larnaca. Doesn't that take at least as long as continuing straight ahead? And the other engine can still quit on the way down.

What's the proper professional action in this scenario, and why?