PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Resetting the ADI
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2003, 18:10
Arm out the window

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
In general, I think it's a bad move to set anything else than the 'real' attitude on the ground; ie. if your helicopter sits about 4 deg. NU on the skids, set that, and if it sits flat, set zero.
Attitude indicators by their nature have an erection system that continuously (more or less, locked out when there is G on) brings them back to a true vertical reference.
You want the AI or ADI to give you a true picture of where the nose is with reference to the horizon, so why set it anywhere else on the ground?
If you are always setting your AI to give you a 'zero pitch' in the cruise, you're fooling yourself. In my view, it's far better to just get used to whatever 'true' attitudes your particular machine generally flies at.
With respect to what Inthegreen says, it would be better (I think anyway) to note what you're hovering with, eg 4 NU say, and make a mental note to lower that the appropriate amount when you do your restricted IF takeoff, rather than always being programmed to go for some rote-learnt picture on the AI.