PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL PoF Question
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2014, 12:01
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
therefore b) would be the correct answer to the question asked.
I don't agree. At Va, you haul back at the controls. That means the aircraft stalls exactly at the moment the maximum design forces are reached. For which the aircraft is designed (duh). So there is no structural damage, so B is not the correct answer.

B is not the correct answer for another reason too. B specifies "...to the control surfaces". There is no reason why specifically the control surfaces should or should not be damaged, and the rest of the structure not. In fact, my gut feeling tells me that even well above Va, hauling back on the controls will not damage the control surfaces, but will damage the main spar.

A is also not the correct answer since entering a zoom climb requires that you do not enter a stall. So hauling back fully is not going to work to enter a zoom climb.

My gut feeling is that actually either C or D is the correct answer, and will be along the lines of "the aircraft will enter an accelerated stall".

Anyway, what happens at Va, or one knot below or one knot above, is splitting hairs. Like others said, there is some measure of additional safety factor calculated in. So if you are a few knots above Va and you haul back on the controls, you will not break the aircraft. (But that's the kind of thing you should only do if you're a test pilot.)