PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lest We Forget
Thread: Lest We Forget
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2014, 11:14
Brian 48nav

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
During my 8 years in the RAF I was very fortunate not to lose many mates - obviously as a nav' who went to the transport world I was somewhat sheltered from the harsh realities of pilot training and I knew hardly any of the fighter and bomber fatalities in my time.

IIRC 4 Shacks' were lost around late '67/early '68 and Dave Love (2nd nav on 205 Sqn's loss over The Indian Ocean ) was the only one I knew.

From my nav' course, 88, Harry Pittard died in a Canberra crash near Marham in '70 or '71.

Of the 3 Herc' fatal crashes, I only knew Tony Barrett, skipper who died at Colerne in Sept' '73 - I knew who Colin Harrison ( the skipper who died in the sea off Pisa, Nov' '71 ) was, and sadly saw the fireball from our Herc' 2 behind in the formation.

An old mate, Graham Young, died in the '93 Herc' crash in Scotland.

RIP you all - I still remember you.

Bob V

My Jag mate off-spring will have known several of those in your list - a name not there and one of the saddest unnecessary deaths was his best-man, brother-in-law and confidante, Grp Capt Tom Barrett - killed on his cycle by a white-van man outside Northolt.