PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Side Slip (wing down/cross control) Landing Technique on Airbus (A330)
Old 14th Nov 2014, 10:35
scotbill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once again the crusty old ex-RAF types who have acquired the necessary skills for a last-moment juggling exercise with rudder and stick pour scorn on the inadequates who use easier methods.

My confidence in Xwinds was almost completely destroyed by the RAF technique in Chipmunks. Later in Scotland I was taught that the crossed controls method was the professional way to make smooth controlled landings in Hebridean gales at minimum discomfort for passengers.

Later I was able to satisfy myself that the technique works superbly on machines as diverse as the Chipmunk, Tiger Moth, Viscount, B767 - and have no doubt Airbus as well although I have not had the pleasure.
As an ex-TRE I treasure a note from a very experienced ex-RAF pilot thanking me for having undone his service brainwashing after he had carried out a max Xwind landing on the 757.

There is no question in my mind but that the controlled slip (not wing-down!) is by far the easiest method to teach and is likely to have the most successful outcome.

The B767 autopilot gives a particularly polished demonstration.