PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Extracting tracks of individual planes from recorded radar data
Old 14th Nov 2014, 09:05
MuOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extracting tracks of individual planes from recorded radar data

I would like to understand the methods and mechanisms by which an individual plane's track may be extracted from recorded radar data.

My motivation is trying to find an explanation for the "sharp corner" in MH370's track during its turn back minutes after going dark.

It seems obvious, that a B777 cannot instantaneously change course and create a sharp corner track. The most common answer, I so far received, is "its an artefact". However, no one would give a more detailed explanation of what kind of artefact it may be.

- did the graphic artist mess up?
- was there a mismatch between several radar data sources, creating a sharp corner when grafted together?
- did any automated algorithm "sanitize" the track and eliminate loops, dangling tails, etc.?
- is the corner due to the vertical planar projection of a three dimensional flight path?
- etc.

I would be grateful for answers to the following, and possibly more, questions:

- what radar return data is routinely stored? E.g. Range, bearing, altitude, plane ID, time stamp, etc.
- at what frequency is data stored?
- is the extraction of tracks performed manually or by automated, algorithmic means?
- if automated, are details of the algorithms publicly available? Manufacturers, source code, etc?
- what is stored, if the plane's ID is no longer available?

I'll probably have many more questions, but let's start there.

Cheers
Will