PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL PoF Question
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2014, 09:02
Binners93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPL PoF Question

Morning Pruners!

So some advice would be much appreciated from those who have a sound understanding of all things PoF related, as one question that came up in my flight school had me scratching my head!

The question went along the lines of;

"You are flying at Va and pull back on the controls in an full abrupt manner, what is the first thing that will happen?"

a) You will enter a zoom climb.
b) You will cause structural damage to the control surfaces.
c) A silly irrelevant answer.
d) Another silly answer to add a forth option.

My first thought was that the question has specified Va, not Vfe. At Vfe, its my understanding that ANY control surface deflections are likely to cause structural damage, let alone a full pull back. I also was thinking about the lift principle and how an increase in the angle of attack and such a fast velocity is likely to climb the aircraft quite dramatically. I selected a), turns out it was b) .

Can any of you lend some advice with this one? I understand why structural damage will occur, but the questions asks what is the FIRST thing that will happen. I would have thought that if it was at Vfe, first thing to happen is a freefall skydive with the plane in tatters but at Va, a climb and then possible damage?

I know I'm probably missing something obvious so would greatly appreciate any assistance!