PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SNA Take off
Thread: SNA Take off
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2003, 15:39
West Coast

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Iain
The possibility of a SNA type departure out of NZJ is unlikely and not required. Especially off the 7's or 34's. First, terrain clearance would not allow it and secondly and most important is demographics. The peope of backbay Newport have one hell of alot of money which equates to clout. Look at what they have implemented at SNA over the years, the departure is but one of them. Low artificial limits to annual pax count, one of the strictest noise abatement and curfew limits in the nation. It is possible to recieve a citation for busting a noise monitor just by being on final to 19R prior to curfew. Cota de Caza aside, the residents of south OC don't have the clout to match. I know, I grew up there.

As far as not wanting you at SNA, its just the opposite. I would prefer we were not there. One 5700 ft of runway is not much, especially for an abort prior to V1. This especially so if its wet or contaminated. Many carriers take large weight penalties which means we got to leave pax, bags, gas or any combo of these behind. This means lost revenue. The GA factor plays out also.
In the air carrier world we are bound by TCAS to one extent of another. The runways are so close together that the FAA had to provide an exemption for their use. Someone close in on base is sure to set off the box screaming at us. It doesnt know the plane is going for 19L. If we dont have the offender in sight, we must go missed. Perhaps the part you don't want to hear is the differing level of competence of GA. GA is a poor term as it covers anything that is not air carrier or mil. As it covers alot of aircraft, it also covers the spectrum of pilot competence. I have no problem mixing it up with a G5, but I do with a student pilot in a C152. That guy in the 152 may be flying that Gulfstream in a few years as a seasoned aviator, but as of now he is flying next to me. He can be on his initial solo flying next to a Boeing or Airbus. I just don't feel comfortable with that level of competence so close when the tolerances are already so tight (runway, airspace, disimilier traffic, etc) Its been awhile since I have reviewed part 61, but I believe the FAA has addressed this at certain class B airports by saying you must hold at least a private certificate to operate there.

Honestly tell me, would you prefer that student pilot be flying next to the air carrier that has your loved ones on it?