PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA pilot's Union under pressure (merged)
Old 25th May 2003, 15:14
greybeard

Cool

Gidday,

Pay cuts for SIA.

Basic of say S$10,000.00/month as a guide which with "usual" allowances for IFA, Expat, Market force, night stop and meals, less rental debit can be $13,500.00 nett based on about 60 flt hours.

-22% 2,200.00 Flat pay cut
-20% 2,000.00 6 days of NPL/Month mooted as bloddy well
-20% 640.00 % of housing at max rate as mooted
- 1500.00 reduced flt hours
- 300.00 less meals/transport
= - 6640.00

So, nett is now S$6860.00

Now to the living bit,

Taxation 1500
Utilities 500
Transport 600
Schooling 2200 1100 per child, AFTER the subsidy Phone 500
TV/Net 100
Food 1000 family of 4 Expat orientations
Sundries 500
6900 WE HIT THE BIG NEGATIVE HERE

Now that is for an Expat, if you are here on local terms but are an "Expat" as quite a few are, goodness!!!!, it all starts at 10,00.00 as well but less Expat and schooling so you cannot stay as a family or possibly even as a "Single" with the troops at home country.

After 5 years on the 310, my basic is not quite at the 10,000 level and I don’t have kids at school but fit the numbers as you may it makes the whole thing a marginal exercise at best and going broke high on the cards.
Most people go O'seas as a way to make a dollar or two, survive an Industrial calamity, Company closure, divorce runner you name it BUT we need it to be a viable exercise. I could make more cutting grass for Jim's Mowing than remaining here.

To that end, I and a few others have already been terminated. Too old in my case for any upgrade.

Those who would see this as a way to "level" the pilots benefits, those who would remove the so called "unwanted", (already perhaps in some cases), those who will save the bottom line at the expense of all else are off and running at the speed of light.
They are so busy saving "FACE" it may well be their "ASS" that goes in the end.

There is no doubt the current situation is grim beyond anything I could imagine, over SIA 40 tails on the ground at Changi, half the bloddy fleet parked nose to tail.
BUT we are not the only Airline, look at Cathy and Dragon, so far they have hung in there.

I shall finish up this week as an active "Airliner", will as I have said before, MISS THE FLYING, but not the job.

sui generus