PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jabiru engine failures
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2014, 22:10
triton140

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jaba, with your experience, do you think this can be fixed quickly?

Seems like the major problems are still the through bolts (?rolled vs cut threads), valve guides (?cam/rocker design) and crankcase fretting. Of course, as Sunfish points out, we don't have any good stats and there is the maintenance confounder, but do we have the answer and is it as simple as an SB (I suspect not, but we can live in hope).

Pity Jabiru has chosen to head to Canberra with their lawyers instead of engineers. They have received poor PR advice - the legal approach and a letter writing campaign will not wash with CASA (or more importantly the public, ever fearful of those nasty ultralights crashing through the roof of their kindergarten), it just looks like a defensive cover up. Over many years, and across many industries, we have learnt that the only way to deal with these crises is to fess up and be cooperative in working to find a solution. The lawyers will only stuff it up and hasten the demise of Jabiru - we need experts here, not guns for hire.

There are times I hate CASA with a passion, but I have to agree with Kharon that it seems they had little option - Jabiru has failed to deal with the known issues and RAAus has failed in its responsibilities (I think after all the fiascos, CASA will give them trikes not above 300ft and roll everything else back into CASA/RPL and who could blame them).