PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jabiru engine failures
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2014, 21:23
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
Ozbusdriver:

Sounds like a metallurgical level issue.
If I was running Jab I would be offering good deals for engine swaps for engines that reach TBO. Would be smothering a few high use engines with data logging. The engineer in me sees these failed engines as very valuable resources...why the hell isn't the manufacturer doing deals to get the cores back into the factory and under the microscope.
Without a competent statistical analysis of the failure types and rates, CASA and the RAA are wasting their time.

However I doubt that a technical analysis of failure modes is going to be much help to the Jabiru engine company for the following reasons:

1. Statistical analysis may not prove conclusive given that ATSB does not investigate incidents and the RAA seems to be wanting as well. There also needs to be a distinction drawn between what I will call "professionally maintained" engines and amateur maintenance of kit built aircraft. This needs to be done so that conclusions can be drawn about different fleets because failure may be maintenance sensitive (or not). Then there is the question of mod status.

2. Now that Lawyers are involved (if its CASA, the lawyers are calling the shots) Jabiru faces an almost insuperable barrier to a return to normal operations because it is going to be asked to present "negative Evidence" ie: Evidence that demonstrates that the engine is safe by industry standards. That involves identification of failure mode, corrective action then considerable testing to prove that the problem is fixed at the 99.999 percent confidence level.

However even this won't be enough. Now that CASA has got itself involved it has foregone the defence of "plausible deniability" if there is a multiple fatality. What will now be required of Jabiru is an impossibly high standard of evidence such as to be sufficient for a court to completely exonerate CASA from all liability whatsoever in the event of a future accident. I do not believe CASAs lawyers will settle for anything less and I think they will take their time before deciding.

I short-handed this message in an earlier post but my feeling is that I doubt the Jabiru cash flow can sustain such a marathon nor will engine sales continue while it is in this state.

If its any consolation at least CASA didn't wait till Friday at 4.30pm.

P.S. To be fair to CASA, I believe I've heard that Jabiru management has been somewhat less than proactive in the product improvement area, but I stand to be corrected.