PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jabiru engine failures
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2014, 18:15
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No doubt I will be corrected where wrong, but at face value seems to me CASA have acted responsibly and reasonably here. They are between a rock and a hard place; but they have not grounded the fleet and they are meeting and consulting with interested parties. I'd say that was a good thing and a positive move, when you consider the alternatives.

This appears to be one of those problems – similar to an intermittent fault – if the thing breaks, then the decision is easier, i.e. if all Jab donkeys quit, every time it's a no brainer. But it seems there are those engines which go to TBO and beyond and those which are much less obliging. Mach. E has provided a possible way forward and a good, potential bargaining chip:-
It would be interesting to compare the failure rate of Jabiru engines here with that in the USA where they have been quite popular with home builders of Sonex and the like. Then compare with VW, Corvair, Subaru etc both here and in the USA. It may be that our Yank allies actually know something about the care and feeding of engines that we could learn.
And use....

CASA can't have the Jab fleet parked in paddocks and shopping malls around the country, but clearly they are prepared to discuss; and, by limiting the risks as they appear to have done, perhaps it's a sign. I reckon it's up to the manufacturer and perhaps the operators to show willing and prove to CASA that the product and operation can be made more reliable.

I can only hope this is the start of reformation and a non combative response from those affected can demonstrate that 'industry' is willing to cooperate in jointly achieving a sane, sensible solution – which would be a much better outcome.
tecman - In the end, it's not CASA's job to design or re-work engines but I hope they do take the opportunity to publish what information they have. At least then it might be possible to have an evidence-based re-work program,
Just saying