PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR approach protocol in the UK
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2014, 16:47
NorthSouth

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Get the poor bugger on the ground with minimal work load
Very accommodating of you! But as you have pointed out the people making the decisions are in the tower at EGPN. And you know what they'll do!

Adding to your scenarios at Dundee, I recall one incident a few years back when we were just about to call taking up the DND hold at 3000ft when we heard a roar and fleetingly saw a pair of F-16s scream over the top of us. Just as I was about to key the mike to call Dundee, they called me and said "traffic information for you....". Unfortunately a phone call from Leuchars to Dundee followed by an RT call from Dundee is slower than the speed of an F16. The F16 crews seemingly thought it was perfectly acceptable to fly right through a published hold in intermittent IMC without speaking to the controlling authority.

Another scenario (from a pal) during the brief period when that Polish airline was flying into Dundee (White Knight? White Elephant? White Knuckles?). Again, taking up the DND hold when an ATR 42 appeared out of nowhere crossing right across him. Turned out the guy was inbound to the hold, saw a gap in the clouds and decided he would take a 'more efficient' route to final. They lasted 7 months - luckily without serious mishap.

NS