PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK NPAS discussion thread: Mk 4
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2014, 15:40
Gerry Atric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may not be a pilot … but my thousands of hours working alongside many have given me a good insight into those that have the aptitude … and those that don't. I've seen prospective ones with thousands of hours in their logbooks, but spent in commercial transport, who were just not comfortable manoeuvring at low level, orbiting scenes at night, sometimes in difficult conditions, at a couple of thousand feet with no visual cues. Or being thrown, unplanned, at a moments notice into Class A airspace as a job took an unexpected turn (literally)

Likewise, I've flown with those to whom 'seat of the pants' was second nature … to whom the aircraft seemed to be an extension of themselves. They kept me safe, alive, got the job done, and I had a lot of respect for them.

So the point is that it not just cost that would inhibit converting rotary to f/w … a pilot might be superb on rotary, but just not as comfortable and competent in f/w.

And the idea that interview alone has been the basis for pilot selection … if that was your experience, JayTeeTo … it's worrying