PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Truss: Aviation Safety Regulation Review
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2014, 05:17
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dougy's on it.

From Dougy's insight - Editor's Insights 13 November 2014:
Apparently a lot of the delays recently, such as naming the CASA board new members, action on the Forsyth Report and perhaps even the announcement of Mark Skidmore as DAS, have been at least partly because there’s micromanagement going on in the Prime Minister’s office. Warren Truss’ department in turn has been doing a lot of waiting for things to come back their way. This is not good for Aviation. Truss is a capable minister who in general retains the trust of the industry despite the frustration over the many delays. Let him get on with the job.

Business entrepreneur (how else do you describe him?) Dick Smith remains vocal in Canberra. Let’s hope his views are considered in the correct proportion to his experience and expertise and not on the amount of noise he makes. Dick has strong and well-articulated views but they are still the perspective of a single individual; albeit one whose views have been sometimes been disruptive in the past.

The Australian Aviation Associations Forum was briefing the media today on its views on the delays to action on the Forsyth Report. I was unable to make it as I was facilitating a NSW Trade & Industry sponsored seminar on autonomous systems, under the auspices of SADIG That turned out to be a fascinating insight into the issues that help and hinder total cooperation amongst government, industry and research units in our universities. There’s so much world-leading R&D happening in the academic institutions that is not getting the funding and other support it needs to become commercially viable that it all amounts to a failure on someone’s part. Probably government since that’s the sector that has the ability and resources to facilitate the success of such projects. Let’s hope there’s more to come in this vein. Well done to the organisers.

I’m hoping to get a delayed briefing from AAAF chairman Chris Manning on the press conference they were holding today. I’ll share it with you when I do...
Hmm..not sure about the miniscule comment though...

MTF...