PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2 dead in C-150 crash in Algonquin Park
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2014, 03:09
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Though I don't know what happened, I credit any pilot with the forethought necessary to fuel in Ottawa, for a flight to Toronto, let alone at night. Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto is not going to work in a 150, unrefueled.

So presuming the 150 was filled in Montreal or Ottawa they still would have had to spend at least an hour turning circles to run out of fuel at Algonquin park.

To me, that is the failing, let alone at night. On that route, if you get lost, you do not diddle around, you fly south to get to somewhere you recognize, or the shore, then continue west. The decision making was poor for this flight.

Cessna 150s are able to fly to a lot of places they just should not be, particularly at night. A route being possible hardly makes it wise. Ottawa Toronto direct has some very unforgiving terrain. Adding Peterborough as a waypoint helps a little, but really not too much, other than being easy to fine, and wisely reassuring at night.

If you're flying that route in less than ten mile vis, you may as well be flying it IFR. Are you ready to do that?