PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Senate Inquiry
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2014, 03:06
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perfidious Australis.

Looking over the last post from Sarcs a couple of fairly significant things jump off the page:-

a) The Canadians were given the 2008 'general' ATSB audit which only lightly brushed over the 2004 response; the 2004 audit was a peer review and made some serious recommendations – and had much to say. Particularly related to 'investigation' (or lack thereof) independence and funding, all as required under Annexe 13, to ensure that obligations were properly met.

b) That had the ATSB acted as recommended; then things would be better and a damn sight closer to what a first world safety investigator should be doing.

Beaker is 'emotionally' and publicly bewailing the loss of '200' years experience; that's twenty years per annum for the last decade, if you like. More broken promises to the detriment of the ATSB to the point where the infamous, Beyond all Reason SR are left to sit in limbo for three years, before being diluted to a minor, politically correct SA suggestion: lots of accidents are not even cursorily investigated; reports are written by the tea lady and, once again, the department is complicit in deliberately thumbing it's nose at an ICAO audit. Had they complied, we would have a first class ATSB to be proud of. What do we and ICAO have – Mi mi meee, mee, me; trust me, mi mi mi.

I wonder why we bother; I really do. FCOL, the bloody Canucks have toddled off with almost exactly the same ToR that were used for the ICAO 2004, peer review made at ATSB request, but are working with the 2008 FAA light version of a 'general' review. No matter, both were not only ignored but have, as the facts show, been inverted and perverted into the shameful mess we see today.

We have now had several inquiries, reviews and audit; all danced to the tune of no change and obfuscation. Why bother doing them – if no one takes the slightest notice.. If we just didn't bother with 'audit' the ATSB could have afforded the $00.20 to raise the Westwind and maybe even replaced the 'lost' talent to write a report which was not an aberration and a SR that stuck. We may have even had some meaningful insight into why life vests failed, life rafts went walkabout, whistles didn't work and a sensible fuel policy; written into law. We may have even gained a better understanding of fatigue. But, hell the world don't need that kind of information now, do it? Bloody Bean counters, advisors, spin doctors and statisticians, all would make a stone idol weep.

And we, masquerading as an upstanding, righteous aviation nation feel it is our duty to 'shirt front' the Ivans of this world and have the rest of it believe that "our" ATSB can manage MH 370. Well, if it's to be a cover up of the duck up, they probably can; very well indeed. Sad part: the world will probably swallow it, whole, and ask for more.

Selah..

Last edited by Kharon; 13th Nov 2014 at 03:12. Reason: Turn the steam off now Minnie, thanks.