PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C210N gear failure Cairns
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2014, 02:44
rutan around

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Morno
can't say I ever heard of that procedure in the event my gear wouldn't come down.
NOT when it won't come down. When it comes down but doesn't lock. You can identify the problem when you hear the normal loud satisfying clunk the gear makes as it finishes it's cycle and hits the saddles but the gear motor doesn't stop as it should. Shortly after you stop the motor one gear leg dangles and of course you never saw a green light. Sometimes a couple of recycles will shake the spring loaded downlock into position and all is well but sometimes......... refer to Post 2

If I didn't follow the book in my job and made up my own procedures, then I'd be liable as well as sacked!
So if you knew a procedure that would save the plane you would still crash it?

I am curious, however, as to why flicking the electrical pump on just prior to landing will achieve anymore than pumping the emergency handle?
It won't but it's a bloody sight easier landing with two hands available than with one madly keeping pressure up to the unlocked leg. Once you stop pumping manually or electrically the unlocked gear dangles in the breeze and upsets the passengers.

I'm not blaming the pilot-she was probably never told. Also she probably had little to do with the decision to land on the grass.

Its only a frigging aeroplane - it can be fixed or written off!
But why do that when there is a way to avoid the accident in the first place. By the way there is a way to pretty well eliminate the c210 down lock failures.