PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHAMPTON
Thread: SOUTHAMPTON
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2014, 23:17
Rivet Joint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GCILover: I totally agree. It does smack of BE teaching SOU a lesson like they were clearly doing last time they operated a few routes from BOH. This time the base is more substantial however and I can only see one long term loser and that's BE. Saying that I fully expect the BOH venture to not last long just like last time. SOU is soon to get new owners (well sort of) and lets hope without LHR being a stable mate they will start to invest airside to facilitate some much needed competition.

adfly: I'll admit I had a lot of faith in the new management who appeared to be going back to basics and consolidating nicely on what they know works. More codesharing is also a wise move. Yu can't tell me however that opening a base at the likes of STN and BOH is not going against this course of action however?

I admit my housing plan might be a bit over the top (at least for now) however with the Irish lot charging a few euros and a bag of crisps for a flight to Greece 650,000 is not all that surprising. I think its well established that FR are not fully committed to BOH and it does beg the question why? I don't want to go back to poundland again but if they can't make money in a town centre then no one can. Non passenger business is kind of a non point to me, Manston, Blackpool etc all had this yet closed. Granted it has a longer runway but so does Doncaster.

You have to ask why BI chose to ditch BOH to fly the same routes as BE at SOU?

I do not see how this will benefit either airport. Granted you are right SOU needs a kick up the rear but BOH has no business serving domestic routes and as previously mentioned if FR can't make it work then BE have no chance. Time will tell though.