PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 505 Jet Ranger X
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2014, 21:31
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
One thing I've been kind of curious about is all the hype over this "dual-FADEC" thing. Everything Bell puts out about the 505 mentions the dual-FADEC as one of the advantages, often claiming that it "reduces pilot workload." And so I'm moved to wonder...

How?

How exactly does FADEC "reduce pilot workload" in the course of a flight? Now, admittedly I've never flown a 407, so I can't speak to this issue. But I cannot imagine that flying a 407 with FADEC is any less complicated or tiring or fatiguing (or different) than a 206L-4.

Yes, yes, the start sequence is automatic, but it still requires the pilot to monitor the procedings and do something! if it doesn't all go according to plan. But I never thought that starting an L-4 was all that much of a chore. And if your one-and-only FADEC fails in flight your workload is not reduced, for sure! So I guess there's good reason to put *two* of them onboard, eh? "It's so good that we decided to give you *two* of them...you know...just in case..."

So. Somebody help a brutha out here. Just how does having a FADEC controlled engine reduce pilot workload in a helicopter?